January 20, 2013

Life After Grad

One of the happiest things that happened to me last August was finishing university! After 4.5 long years I managed to finish everything I set out to accomplish. Although there were many times I thought I wouldn't have the time to do it all, I managed to squeeze everything into the extra half a year and get it done x_x. Now that I'm finished, my life has been a lot different from what I was used to before.

Me and my boyfriend on graduation day :) Our squatting looks like toadstools lol.


At first I was ecstatic of course due to the new found freedom and time to do things. I had an extremely busy school schedule before and I never took a summer semester off, plus I always had a part time job so it was difficult to find me time. Now without school, I only had to focus on my work and had all the freedom in the world to see friends, spend time with family + the doggy, and focus on hobbies. The first thing I did was take a trip to Taiwan, my place of birth, which I haven't been back to see since I was 4 years old (18 years o_o). My ticket was a graduation present from my parents and I had the most awesome time there. It was really great to get in touch with where I came from and the culture. Even though much of the culture can be experienced where I live now, it was still different. I had an amazing three weeks visiting my family and friends there.

While sightseeing in Jiu Fen. Amazing views.

After returning from my trip, having my official graduation ceremony, and enjoying the holidays, it finally sunk in. It was time for me to find a real job and start my career. I have to admit I did take quite a long "me break" after August but recently I've been putting a lot of time and effort into job hunting. I've been applying to many jobs, but making sure that I would truly want to work for these companies of course, and also had a few interviews. The experience has been a bit exhausting while continuing to work at my existing job, but I haven't lost hope in this terrible job market!

The best thing about interviews for jobs that are actually related to your degree is that you no longer have to make up a load of BS when asked "why do you want to work here" lol. Unlike how it was when applying for your first high school job... "It is my passion to make fried chicken and sell it to people." or "I just love being yelled at, smelling like food after work, and getting no tips for my kind service." No more of that! It's so much easier to be relaxed and honest because you actually, genuinely want to work for them. 

I'm hoping to find my dream job soon! Will update when that happens, hopefully soon Q_Q. My life lately has just been work and job hunting. I am thankful for all the time I can spend with Nina, my family, and my boyfriend in the meantime though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment